Community Paediatric Continence Service - Southampton and West Hampshire
The Children's Continence Service sees children from the age of 2-16 with soiling, constipation, day wetting and night wetting. They also support children with additional needs with toileting support.
Provision of containments products is also provided for those children with additional needs from the age of 4 years that are eligible.
Our service accepts referrals for:
- Nocturnal (night time) Enuresis (wetting)
- Diurnal (day time) Enuresis (wetting)
- Frequency and urgency of micturition
- Faecal Incontinence (soiling)
The age ranges accepted by the service are:
- Children/young people aged 2 to 16 years with constipation and soiling, 4 to 16 years with day wetting, frequency and urgency, and 5 to 16 years with night wetting.
- Young people with learning difficulties can be seen up to the age of 19 years.
The following referrals should continue to be sent to the hospital:
Full service description
The Childrens Continence Service is a Nurse Led Service covering clinics at various bases throughout Southampton. The Team comprises of Specialist Childrens Continence Nurses as well as a Nurse Advisor. Advice support and care is provided both on a face to face basis within a clinical setting, as well as by phone contact.
Referrals are triaged by an experienced Specialist Nurse. Joint clinics are run by the Paediatrician and Nurse on a monthly basis.
A full bladder and bowel assessment is carried out when seen in clinic and an individual care package will be implemented following this.
The aim of the service is to provide a locality based multi-disciplinary team approach offering assessment, diagnosis, treatment and management for families with a child or young person with continence problems.
Please click on the links below to see information regarding our Southampton pathway:
- Referrals will be accepted from all healthcare professionals including: consultants (acute and community) GP’s, health visitors and school nurses and those from social services.
- Parents can re-refer themselves if it is within a year of their initial treatment and discharge
Please click here for our referral form.
- Monday 8:30am-4:30pm
- Tuesday 8:30am-4:30pm
- Wednesday 8:30am-4:30pm
- Thursday 8:30am-4:00pm
- Friday 8:30am-4:00pm