Nursing and care home swallow resource pack
Speech and language therapy
How to use this resource
Welcome to your swallowing resource pack.
- If you think your resident may have dysphagia, please refer to the Referral Flow Chart to identify an appropriate management plan.
- Refer to the Frequently Asked Questions and Information Fact Sheets to support your decision making.
- Complete Managing Dysphagia Checklist. Document the management plan clearly on the Managing Dysphagia Checklist, including review dates. Add to residents care plan.
- Review to the Fact Sheet - Guidance - When to refer to Speech and Language Therapy for Swallow Difficulties
- Follow the advice given by the checklist and above Fact Sheet. If indicated refer SLT.
- Referrals to Speech and Language Therapy are made by contacting Single Point of Access (SPA) on 0300 300 2011. Please note: you will need to evidence completing the Managing Dysphagia Checklist at the time of referral. Referrals made without completion of this checklist will not be accepted.
Incomplete forms or referrals with insufficient information will be discharged at triage. You will then need to re- refer your resident with the required information. This will result in further delay to them being seen by SLT.
Please refer to your completed Dysphagia Management Checklist to provide as much information as possible for accurate triage to take place.
Referral flow chart
Referral Flow Chart