Southampton Mental Health In Schools Team (MHST)
During the developmental year of January 2020-January 2021, the referral criteria will be developed in partnership with key stakeholders. The agreed referral criteria will be confirmed prior to service launch in Spring 2021.
If you think the MHST team could help you - please contact your school/college mental health lead who will be able to confirm if we are currently covering your school/college. They can then make a referral for you if appropriate or if you are a young person aged 14 or over they can give you a self-referral form.
Full service description
What do we do?
The Mental Health In Schools Team provide the following target support:
Education Mental Health Practitioners (EMHPs) provide:
• Short term low intensity Cognitive Behavioural Therapy (CBT) informed interventions for children and young people with anxiety and/or low mood aged between 12 to 17 years.
• Support for parents of children under 12 with anxiety and /or who are experiencing behavioural issues using the following evidence-based interventions:
o The Webster Stratton Incredible Years (IY) Parenting Programme addresses young people’s behavioural difficulties and promote their social, emotional and academic competence. Incredible Years offers parents practical strategies to manage challenging behaviour and draws on techniques including play, positive attention, managing consequences, helping children regulate their emotions and managing friendships.
o Managing your child’s worries and fears – Our EMHPs will be trained in delivering CBT techniques for parents who have children with anxiety. Techniques from Creswell and Willetts ‘Helping Your Child With Fears and Worries’ have a strong evidence base for supporting parents of children under 12 years. Strategies from this model includes an identification of fears of worries, encouraging independence, problem-solving techniques and managing physical symptoms of anxiety.
CBT Therapists provide;
• Individual, time limited 1:1 support to young people presenting with Anxiety Disorders, Low mood & OCD.
Southampton MHST also offers support to school and college staff by:
• Delivering training on various mental health topics
• Offering consultations (individual or group) where staff can think through their regarding students or class groups
• Working with staff to support students individually
• Supporting staff wellbeing
During January 2020 and Spring 2021, the referral method and process for referrals will be developed in partnership with key stakeholders. Currently, Mental Health Leads from the selected schools are able to refer young people to our team.
- Monday - Friday, 9am - 5pm
MHST is not a crisis service. If your call is not urgent please leave a message which will be picked up the next working day. If you're calling outside of these hours needing urgent mental health support then please call 111 or visit NHS 111 to speak to the Mental Health Triage Service 24hrs a day