Pulmonary Rehabilitation – Portsmouth City & Hampshire
The Pulmonary Rehabilitation team provides combined exercise and education classes to patients with specific long-term respiratory conditions, such as Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD), Bronchiectasis, Interstitial Lung Diseases (ILDs) and Asthma (Portsmouth CCG only).
Our classes include muscle strengthening and cardiovascular exercises, to improve the symptoms associated, and education to improve knowledge on managing these conditions. Both these elements aim to improve quality of life.
- Confirmed diagnosis of COPD/ Bronchiectasis/ILD, where daily living activities are limited by dyspnoea.
- Patients experiencing decreasing exercise tolerance
- On optimum drug therapy
- Motivated to attend
- Breathlessness caused by other morbidity e.g. heart failure/IHD
- Recovering from a recent MI (3/12)
- Unstable Blood Pressure or cardiac symptoms
- Psychiatric, cognitive or locomotor problems which would prevent participation in exercise or group
- Co-morbidities made worse by exercise
If a patient has previously attended a complete programme but their lung condition has not deteriorated and shows no educational or exercise needs, please consider other community support options – see Additional information section.
To refer patients onto our services, please complete our most up to date referral form and email it across to firstname.lastname@example.org or post to our office. Please ensure all sections are correctly filled, as this will avoid delay to patient care.
New patient referral form on PIP (GP -Respiratory section) SPA referrals
Full service description
We are based at St Mary’s Community Health Campus in Portsmouth, but we deliver classes at the following locations:
- Paulsgrove Community Centre, Portsmouth
- St Swithun’s Church Hall, Portsmouth
- Waterlooville Community Association
- Petersfield Community Centre
- Lee-on-Solent Community Association
- The Genesis Centre, Locks Heath
- Basingstoke Sports Centre
- Alton Community Centre
The classes are held at community sites twice a week - 7 weeks in Portsmouth and 6 weeks in all other areas. We provide strength and endurance exercises to help promote an active lifestyle, as well as self management advice and education.
To access our service, you must obtain a referral from your GP, COPD nurse, respiratory consultant, or relevant Health Care Practitioner. We unfortunately do not offer a self-referral option. We aim to see you on a programme from your referral being received within 10 weeks.
Block B, St Mary’s Community Campus, Milton Road, Portsmouth, PO3 6AD
- Monday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Tuesday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Wednesday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Thursday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
- Friday: 8:30am - 4:30pm
Monday- Friday (excluding Band Holidays) 8.30am-4.30pm.