Skip to the content

Community and mental health services for Southampton, Portsmouth and parts of Hampshire and the Isle of Wight.


Should I report what happened?

The decision to report rape or sexual assault to the police is yours. You can attend the Sexual Assault Referral Centre and access our services whether or not you decide to report the assault to the police. We will respect your wishes and always put your needs first.

If you are an adult you don’t have to report to the police to access the services of the Treetops Sexual Assault Referral Centre. All you have to do is call us to make an appointment on 0300 123 6616. You will have access to all the services offered at the Centre. There will be no pressure for you to report to the police. We will store all your samples for a period of time, so if you want to make a report to the police at a later date you can do so. It gives you the chance to consider your next steps. We cannot see you unless you make an appointment but we will offer you an appointment as soon as we can. Read more about what happens when you report a rape or sexual assault to the police.

If you do wish to report to the police then a Crisis Worker can help facilitate this. A Specially Trained Officer (STO) will talk to you and make sure you understand what is going on at each stage. The police will investigate the assault, which may involve giving a statement about what happened.


Was the assault:

In the Last 7 Days?

If the sexual assault took place in the last 7 days there are forensic medical examinations that can be carried out to collect what could be vital evidence to help an investigation, should you wish to report to the police.

The examination must be done within 48 hours to 7 days depending on the type of assault. You will be supported by a Crisis Worker and a Sexual Offences Examiner (Doctor or Nurse) during the time you are at Treetops. The link below takes you to a document that can provide you with the information you need to help you understand more about the medical examination that will be undertaken at Treetops.

You can find more information on the forensic medical here.

It is important that you contact the team at Treetops at the earliest opportunity to discuss your options. Call us on 0300 123 6616.

More than 7 days ago?

If the assault happened more than 7 days ago it may not be appropriate to offer you a forensic medical examination. We are however still here to help you. We will offer you an appointment to attend Treetops Sexual Assault Referral Centre so that we can discuss your options with you. These may include making a sexual health appointment for you, organise testing for sexually transmitted infections, make referrals for counselling or refer you to the Independent Sexual Violence Advisor (ISVA) service.

Patient Advice and Liaison Service (PALS)

Please visit our services page for specific services and contact details. Alternatively, contact our Patient Advice and Liaison Service by emailing or calling the number below. You can also give us feedback, make a complaint or share a compliment.

0800 013 2319

*Lines are open Monday to Friday 10am – 4pm.

The Freedom of Information (FOI) Act was passed on 30 November 2000. It gives a general right of access to all types of recorded information held by public authorities, with full access granted in January 2005.

The Act sets out exemptions to that right and places certain obligations on public authorities.


Phone: 0300 123 3919

*Subject to any exemptions which apply, we are obliged to provide the information requested please note that requests for Personal Information is not covered under this Act and should be applied for through the Data Protection Act 1998.

Our administrative and managerial centre is based in Southampton.

While our services can be found around various NHS locations in Southampton and Portsmouth (and surrounding districts), our administrative and managerial centre is based in Southampton at:

Highpoint Venue
Bursledon Road
SO19 8BR

If you require a printable version of how to find us including bus times, car access and bike info please download our leaflet. (Copyright of Highpoint Venue).

Central office phone: 0300 123 3390

*Lines open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.

If you are a journalist with a media enquiry, please contact the Communications Team at: 

0300 123 4156 or 02381 031076

The Communications Office is open Monday to Friday 9am to 5pm.