How can we help?
What is persistent pain management?
Pain management aims to improve people's understanding of their pain and reduce problems that pain causes. Our teams work with people to improve their ability to manage pain. This covers both physical and psychological aspects of coping with pain. We look at things such as understanding pain, managing activity, achieving goals despite pain, and emotional wellbeing. Pain management is not trying to cure pain, although some people say their pain has reduced afterwards.
We hope that after coming to our service you will experience some, or all of the following:
- A better understanding of what persistent pain means and what can cause pain to persist
- Improved confidence about ways in which pain can be managed
- Better physical functioning
- Greater confidence in moving
- Improvements in mood
- Better sleep
- Better relationships
- Meeting other people who experience living with persistent pain, helping you build a widened support network.