Southampton has a long and proud history of tolerance and respect for diversity including different cultures and faiths, with communities living peacefully side by side for generations.
This is something we can all be proud of. City leaders, businesses, communities and individuals in Southampton have made the following pledge to the city.
We pledge to:
• Welcome and celebrate multi-cultural communities and diversity within all our communities including disability, gender and sexual orientation as well as faith and ethnicity.
• Recognise the value and benefits that residents and visitors from all parts of the world bring to our city.
• Work together to maintain a united, city-wide, zero tolerance approach towards hate incidents and hate crime.
• Help spread the word about what hate incidents and hate crime are and how to report them.
• Spread the message that if you see it or hear it, you should report it.
• Not turn a blind eye if we witness people being subjected to verbal abuse and other forms of harassment.
• Take any and every report of a hate incident or hate crime seriously.
By signing this pledge we commit to promoting the message of positive diversity and doing what we can to increase tolerance and report hate crime within our own sectors and organisations.